- At The Mermaid Inn our flexible accommodation will make for an enjoyable stay whether you're hosting a significant birthday, reunion, hen or stag party, or simply a holiday with family and friends.
- All our bedrooms can be set up as doubles or twins, and we have 6 downstairs bedrooms for those with limited mobility. We're also child friendly with all bedrooms being under one roof, a selection of family rooms, bathrooms with baths, a wonderful garden area, and cots and high chairs available on request.
- No matter what your occasion the combination of a spacious historic house combined with spectacular location will create a truly memorable time for your group.
We are a self-catering venue and the majority of groups choose to cater for themselves using the well equipped kitchen.
Deliveries - All the main Supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda, Waitrose) will deliver - obviously please choose a delivery slot after your arrival time as we are unable to ensure someone will be there to accept a delivery on your behalf. Drinks-wise most groups will order via a supermarket delivery although it is also possible for groups to source a barrel of real ale from local suppliers (sadly we are unable to supply direct as we are not licensed)
In house caterers - Many groups also choose to bring in caterers for one special evening. There are catering options range to suite all preferences and budgets from simple buffets to fully waited a la carte options.
You are of course very welcome to bring in any caterers you choose (subject to them having adequate Public Liability insurance in place), although we're also happy to recommend tried and tested caterers which previous guests have recommended. A selection of these can be found here: -
Things to do in the area
Aside from some of the more active pursuits that you’ll find detailed in the Hen & stag section there’s no shortage of things to keep the whole group happy in the surrounding area.
The Peak District National Park is blessed with stunning countryside, great walking, lovely country towns, as well as some of the country’s top visitor attractions.
- The Peak District is a walker’s paradise. There are plenty of walks directly from the house but for a more extensive list of walks click here
- For a light stroll you can visit the famous Mermaid Pool which is just a 10 minute walk away, although all but the hardiest should probably resist the urge to take a dip!
- The pool is the scene of the legend after which the Inn is named - click here to read more about this locally iconic spot
- For a longer walk from the Inn (2.5-3 hours) you could try this walk
- Finally, The Roaches, which are acclaimed as one of the top 10 walks in the UK, are only 15 minutes’ drive away
- For a gentle stroll Chatsworth House is three quarters of an hour’s drive away and has extensive gardens, a maze, and of course the magnificent house itself.
Parks & Outdoor spaces
- Buxton’s beautiful Victorian Pavilion gardens are 20 minutes’ drive away – great for a stroll or a picnic.
- Ten minutes’ drive in the other direction, Tittesworth reservoir and visitor centre is in an impressive setting and is great for a walk, spot of lunch, or to let the kids burn off some steam in the playground.
- The award winning Blaze farm is in a magical location (15 minutes away) with ice cream to match! Its free entry and kids and adults alike love getting up close with the animals.
- The spa town of Buxton is 20 minutes away with plenty of eating, drinking, and shopping options, or just for a wander round the historic town.
- Alternatively the traditional market town of Leek is just 10 minutes’ drive away, or slightly further afield Bakewell is a 30 minute drive and is picture postcard pretty, with plenty of opportunities to sample the local delicacy of course…
Pubs & restaurants
- There are plenty of options to take advantage of the good food and ale the area has to offer, indeed too many to mention here.
- The Reform Inn, in Thorncliffe is 2 miles away – a good leg stretcher or a 5 minute drive. Alternatively Buxton is 20 minutes away which gives you plenty of great options.
- There’s no shortage of options in the Peak District but the two obvious highlights are Alton Towers theme park, and Chatsworth house.
- Alton Towers is just 20 minutes away, and Chatsworth 40 minutes by car. Chatsworth is a fantastic day out whether you choose to visit the house itself or simply stroll around the impressive grounds and gardens.
- For young and old alike the historic Churnet Valley Railway is 20 minutes away and operates most weekends allowing visitors to enjoy a short steam powered journey through lovely moorland scenery.
Stags and Hens, Birthdays
- We're a popular venue for chilled stag and hen parties, as well as significant birthdays, who are looking to spend time together rather than have the traditional "night on the town"
- The house is located in the stunning Peak District National Park in the heart of England meaning our central location makes us a popular choice for groups coming from all parts of the country.
- We're also in a secluded spot meaning that if the music or conversation gets a bit loud throughout the evening you won't be getting a knock on the door from the neighbours.
- That said we take pride in our house and so are selective about our bookings - we welcome groups who come to get together and socialise for a relaxed weekend rather than for a rowdy house party. If it’s the latter type of event you’re looking for then we aren’t the right property for you.
- Activity-wise the surrounding Peak District National Park is a stag and hen paradise with walks from the door to adrenaline filled quad biking, and everything in between.
- In house we have a pool table, table football, dart board, and a Karaoke machine to keep the group entertained, not to mention your very own converted pub for the weekend.
- For ideas and inspiration Off Limits have over 20 years’ experience in event management working with small local business to multinational blue chip clients -
- For organised events from murder mystery and casino nights to on site archery you can find inspiration at www.actiondays.co.uk
- Here are a few suggestions of activities for the group, although this is certainly not exhaustive - if you search online for what you're looking for in the Peak District you'll almost certainly find it!
- Private dining – let someone else do the cooking one night, Climbing & Caving, In house pampering and spas (https://www.glo-pamper.co.uk/spa-to-you/), Horse Riding, Clay pigeon shooting, Ballooning, Fishing, Golf, Paintballing, Quad biking and Go Karting, Water Sports, Mountain biking (and some flat cycling routes too), Cooking courses, Cocktail making and wine tasting, Alton Towers and Chatsworth house just over half an hour away....
- Last but certainly not least some stunning walks and country pubs to stumble across.