For your stay
Booking and payment process
- Availability and Price - you can check availability on the site and you can also ask us any question on topics not covered here when you enquire via our contact form. In the first instance we would prefer if you contact us via email as when we are out and about with our young family we will not always have availability / pricing information you need to hand. On receipt of your enquiry we will also confirm price based on the timing of your stay, duration, and also group size.
- 25% deposit needed to secure the dates, 35% for Christmas and New Year bookings (payment via BACS or cheque)
- Balance payable 12 weeks prior to arrival along with £750 security bond which, assuming all is well, is usually returned 48hrs post departure, if not before.
- Our cancellation policy will be sent to along with full Terms and Conditions of booking, prior to your booking.
- Arrival is 4pm Friday, departure Monday 10am prompt (these times also apply to midweek bookings unless arranged otherwise)
- Please call our housekeeper when you are approximately 45 minutes from the property so they can head up there to greet you, answer any queries you may have about the facilities, and handover keys.
- Sadly we do not permit day guests and limit numbers visiting the property to those actually staying ie maximum of 34. We also do not permit the use of tents or marquees on the grounds.
- A Security Deposit is charged on all groups bookings and refunded after your stay. Please treat the accommodation with respect and leave it as you found it. To avoid additional cleaning charges (over and above the ample standard cleaning time) we ask groups to ensure that :-
- Bedrooms are emptied of any rubbish and glasses / crockery.
- Dirty dishes to be washed and put away (fine to leave the dishwasher running with your last breakfast dishes in).
- Food cupboards and fridge/freezers to be cleared out.
- Bins and recycling to be put out etc.
- Removal of any rubbish from lounge areas and a quick run around with the hoover.
- If you would like to decorate the inside of the property, please do so with appropriate adhesive which does not leave marks on the walls or pulls off the paint when removed.
- General supplies - dishwasher tablets, bin bags, washing up liquid and scourers, tea towels, hand soaps in bathrooms, toilet roll, tea/coffee/milk for a cuppa on arrival.
- Utilities – all utilities included, but note that fuel i.e. charcoal for bbq, or wood for stove is not provided – the central heating is more than ample so there is no necessity to light the stove, other than for decorative purposes if you so wish.
- Kitchen Equipment - plenty of big pots, pans, trays, dishes, ample crockery / cutlery. For any “specialist” equipment eg a potato ricer, or if any piece of equipment is key to your cooking plans as a general rule please bring it with you to avoid possible disappointment. Plenty of pint and wine glasses (though not champagne flutes), and cafetieres and jugs. Please bring any condiments / consumables yourselves.
- Linen - All bed linen is included, bath mats, and one towel per guest. We also have a washer / dryer machine.
- Smoking / Vaporizers / Smoke machines - this is a strictly no smoking property, and this extends to the use of vaporizers and smoke machines. Due to the remoteness of the property the fire alarm is sensitive and any activation will result in a charge for us to reset the alarm, or in the case that the fire service attends as the alarm is remotely monitored.
- Dog Policy - we allow up to 2 dogs with prior arrangement and charge £20 per dog for the duration of your stay. Please note that dogs are not permitted in bedrooms or on sofas, and all waste must be cleared up immediately. Dog baskets / beds must be brought by owners. If there is additional cleaning (over and above normal cleaning) this will be chargeable at our discretion, particularly if dogs have been allowed upstairs / in bedrooms.
- Communication - due to the remote location mobile reception is poor at The Mermaid (some networks are better then others), but if you need to stay in touch with the outside world you can do so via Wi-Fi based apps (eg WhatsApp), and there is also a payphone which will accept incoming calls. We have free broadband which has coverage in the dining / lounge areas. Due to the distance from the exchange speeds will not be those which you are used to (c1.5mb). The Wi-Fi is on the whole very reliable, however please note that we are at the mercy of BT for our broadband so cannot guarantee Wi-Fi if there are technical issues out of our control.