About The House
- An inspiring venue for a get together with all accommodation and living space under one roof.
- The highlight is the dining room which seats all 34 guests around a single table with amazing panoramic views. Not to mention your very own “pub”
- The historic house has been tastefully restored and blends modern comforts with local stone and oak beams with parts of the house dating back to 1651. In addition all 13 rooms are en suite.
- The Mermaid Inn is located in the heart of the Peak District National Park and has breath-taking views of the Roaches and the Cheshire plain.
- At 1450ft above sea level the house is very much secluded (nearest habitation being a farm a mile away) yet the popular spa town of Buxton is only 20 minutes away, and there are walks from the door, including the famous Blakemere pool, a delightful spot and scene of the only inland mermaid legend in the UK.
Kitchen and Dining
- The dining room is one of the most impressive features of the house with its incredible views from the picture window. The ability to get up to 34 of your friends and family around a single table makes for a great atmosphere.
- The 11 metre dining room has 34 comfortable oak chairs, stereo system, and wood burning stove for added cosiness should you so wish.
- Cooking-wise there is a well equipped kitchen with Quartz work surfaces, plenty of cupboard space, crockery, glasses, large pots and pans to make big group catering a pleasure.
- There are high quality appliances including 2 Siemens ovens, 2 hobs, 2 dishwashers, Americal style fridge freezer and separate larder fridge, 2 kettles / toasters…
- All the main supermarkets will deliver taking the hassle out of ordering your provisions, or alternatively if you wish to bring in caterers for one special evening we can provide some excellent recommendations.
Lounge space, and “the pub”
- Aside for the dining room there are a further 3 lounges for the group to feel at home in, including a second picture window from where you can watch the sheep munch happily away.
- The lounges have plenty of comfortable leather sofas and offer the group an opportunity to spread out or come together in smaller groups.
- One of the lounges has a TV, with a second in the bar area.
- All lounges have a selection of coordinated cushions and throws to keep things comfy.
- The pub has beer pumps with are decorative only although there is a beer fridge behind the bar, optics for spirits, and it is also possible for groups to source a barrel of real ale from a local supplier.
- The bar area also has a pool table, dart board, table football, and Karaoke machine – all the makings of a good night “down the pub”
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
- We have 13 bedrooms, 4 of which are quads, which means we can comfortably sleep up to 34.
- All bedrooms are flexible to the needs of your group and can be all set up as either doubles or twins.
- 6 of the bedrooms are downstairs, with a further 7 upstairs.
- We provide simple but comfortable linens and hypoallergenic duvets, with coordinated throws and cushions.
- All bedrooms are en suite - there are 9 rooms with shower quads and 4 with baths and showers.
- All bathrooms have cotton bath towels, bathmats, and hand soaps.
- We also provide 2 cots on request.
Outdoor space and location
- Large garden area (approx. 30m x 10m) with stunning backdrop. In additional there are 3 Picnic benches and large custom built stainless steel Barbecue (fuel required)
- No need to worry about disturbing anyone as there are no neighbours (aside from the sheep), the nearest house being a farm around 1 mile away.
- Parking for c20 cars.
- Walks form the door rangin from 3 hours upwards to a 15 minunte stroll up the road to the lovely Mermaid Pool.
- The spa town of Buxton is less than 20 minutes’ drive away, as is Alton Towers, with Chatsworth House 40 minutes away.
- For more ideas of walks and things to do, please see the short breaks section.